Friday, July 9, 2010

Letter to my A.D.D.

Dear my severely-incurable and most-of-the-time-unmedicated ADD,

I hate you very much. Don’t you realize I now have a real persons’ internship that requires me to sit at a desk and be productive for 8-9 hours a day? And that, in roughly 10 months, it will be a real-world JOB that I must have? I’m almost done with school, I can’t deal with you for much longer!

You make me like shiny things, get distracted by pretty colors and zone out staring at things I probably shouldn’t zone out staring at (i.e. my co-workers shiny necklace).

Although Adderall does wonders to squander you, I can’t be addicted to speed. Old boyfriend took 20 mgs of XR every morning and, well, let’s just say it took its toll by the end of the day, in the ….uh … performance area.

I’d really appreciate it if you would just go away. I have work to do and I can’t afford to be distracted by your presence in my head. This way, I will never get anything done as long as I live and I will constantly be running after things that are shiny and pretty and colorful and…..

[disappears to God-knows-where]

[30 minutes later]

Fuck you, ADD.

Love,
Me.

1 comment:

  1. found your profile at 20sb and was all set to write about my nutjob freshman year roommate on "how not to get a roommate post" when I saw this post and clicked on it instead (yeah, Im also down with add). Anyway I am forsure guilty of the inappropriate staring, its awfully fun to shake yourself out of a daydream only to realise that you were inadvertantly staring at your boss. He asked me what I was looking at and (since I was flustered) I replied "just daydreaming." Which is awkward cause he's like fifty and balding and now he probably thinks I stare at him and have fantasies. point being, I agree with you, add is absolutely lamesauce.

    ReplyDelete